Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My new best friend

When I was pregant, I found it really hard to imagine a real live baby inside my tummy. Looking back, I sort of imagined a ‘thing’, or a little soul, without making the connection that it was the same thing I was looking at on the ultrasound screen. It really did feel like a part of me, not a separate little entity.

Now that my child is born and is definately his own little entity, I still can’t make the connection - I cannot imagine him swanning around in my belly. Very strange.

If the first few months were about hanging in there and just getting through, from week 16 I have really felt we have come into our own. My little team - me and my bubba. We do everything together. In the early days I would relish getting out of the house, just for half hour to pick up take out food or get the paper, but now, oh now I can’t bear to be away from him!!! I will find any excuse to make sure I am the one staying home and playing with him while DH gets the take out!!

Even now as I write this I am looking forward to the moment he wakes up so I can spend time with him, cuddle and love him and teach him about the world. Show him new things and make sure he gets a little bit of everything in his day. A bit of love, a bit of stimlation, new things and playing with his familiar toys. I just cannot get enough!

I love it that he is able to stay up for 2 hours now after each feed, so that I can bundle him up and take him into town, for a walk or go do the shopping. I take him out to my mum’s so she can spend some quality time with him. It is just great!

This is what being a mother is all about! And is what I thought it should be like from day one, little did I know you have to go through some tough times to get to the reward!!

No comments: